DSL and Dish versus Cable

I haven’t posted much in the last month as I just went through a move. I ended up going from a small city of 20,000 to a rural town of a 1,000. Lucky for me DSL was available here, I hate the thought that I might of had to use Hughes Net Satellite at home as I do at work.

I had cable at the old place because Dish could not install a dish on that house due to extensive tree coverage.
Of course Time Warner Cable has great features and is trouble free, except that irritating bill that shows up each month.

I have had DSL and Dish for 2 weeks now and the first bill that came was a credit for $42.00. I could use some more bills like that! The whole system for phone, internet, and TV with 2 DVRs is half of what Time Warner charges by the month.

So far things are pretty good, the TV line up is not quite as good as cable and the DVR does not have “Start Over” but there is much more HD than on cable. The DSL internet seems to work just as good for me, however I am just a surfer and not a power user, no online games or large file transfers.

There was a few small glitches getting the DSL running, seems they had to re-patch their system to find my router. But their tech people are in Ohio, not in India and they don’t just repeat “Canned dialog” that takes 4 hours to get you to re-boot your modem.  They were easy going and did not sound all stressed out, and had a real name, unlike the tech guy in India for Hughes Net I talked to who’s name is Moses, and he could not part the Red Sea.

At this point I would recommend them as an good economical alternative to cable. I’ll let you know if my opinion changes.

My brother has posted about free TV many times and has shown you how to build your own HD antennas and how to find local channels. However for me we are way too far from a major city, and have too many hills to get anything over the air.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guiless?

Web.com and Network Solutions, the Walmart of the internet.

MSOffice vs Libreoffice