Microsoft to Improve Boot Times in Windows 8 - does it matter?

Delivering fast boot times in Windows 8 Microsoft is improving boot times 30-70% in windows 8.  Great, but does it matter? Is it relevant?  I don't know how long my iPad takes to boot.  I almost never boot it. I think I have shut it down two times in the last four months. For it, fast booting is a moot point. The truth is: the concept of shutting down and booting will largely be an anarchism in a few years.  What will matter is a rock solid operating systems that never require a reboot. It has been done: mainframes, servers, home routers ... tablets.  I remember way back to a Novell file sever at the college that had an uptime of over 380 days!  

Fast booting is great, but has Microsoft missed the boat?  Just make a PC that sleeps and pulls a 1/4 of a watt in standby. Invest that massive engineering expertise in making the beginning of day boot and end of day shutdown obsolete! Catch up with the cutting edge. It's the new norm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guiless?

Web.com and Network Solutions, the Walmart of the internet.

MSOffice vs Libreoffice